Monday, May 5, 2008

Stephen King: On Writing


Holy two-book-reviews-in-a-row, Batman! I know, I know...I promise, I haven't already switched gears on my newly-minted blog to writing star-filled pop fiction book reviews. AND, I'm not doing this to procrastinate from actually writing about my own projects (maybe the latter was a wee fib). This will all make sense as you read on. If anyone’s actually reading, then Lucky You will soon find said sense (which I guess you came here to do anyway…or maybe your motivation was born of nothing more than routine, 9-5 boredom). Anyway this is my blog and I can do whatever the hell I want. I can write book reviews if I so desire. I can even write poetry about happy clowns serving ice-cream sandwiches to soiled senior citizens at a Cinco de Mayo parade. But I won't. I'm too nice for that. I will refrain from bestowing that punishment upon you.

Occasionally, after reading a book that influences my writing and provokes thought, I’ll feel an obligation to write about it. Such was the case with KAVALIER & CLAY, and such is the case with Stephen King's ON WRITING. The latter begins with the assumption that, "If you don't read a lot, you don't have the necessary tools to write." I've found this to be quite accurate. I've always been an avid reader of comic books, genre and craft magazines, short stories. But until recently, I've always found it difficult to crack open a lengthy novel and tear through it. Reading long form had sort of been my kryptonite. I would much rather have popped a DVD into my player or caught a movie at a local cinema than devote days, neh, weeks! to devouring an entire novel. How much time do ya think I have, Steve?? I felt like I'd always been able to write, but my vocabulary maybe wasn't as sharp as it could've or should've been.

ON WRITING begins as a campfire tale. Mr. King's, "here's the story of my life so far." That's the first half of the book, where we learn everything about his life, from childhood until the then present (2001), and the events that influenced some of his most popular works of fiction. The second half of the book is an intricate tutorial on the craft. How to write. What tools a developing writer needs to sharpen and wield in his utility belt. This is the first Stephen King book I'd ever read. And you know what? It's damn good. No matter what alleys he chooses to meander down, he always comes back to the book's main message: "If you don't read a lot, you don't have the necessary tools to write." And, while this book often seems like it's mainly aimed at writers of novels or short stories, it's very easy to apply Mr. King's advice to screenwriting, too. It's all about the writing aesthetics. The use and power of the written word to tell a story, no matter the medium.
So, to Mr. King's credit, I've been more apt to pick up and purchase a book at a local Barnes & Noble than to pop in a DVD, or to catch a movie at a local cinema. Thanks, Steve. Keep playin' till I shoot through, Blue...play your digeree, do.

2 comments:

Alexander Rozko said...

Nice thoughts and perspectives. I especially like your whimsicalness in your own comments and narrative.

T.Bananas said...

The world needs more poetry about happy clowns serving ice-cream sandwiches to soiled senior citizens at a Cinco de Mayo parade!