Friday, April 3, 2009

Superman Rebooted



I'm taking a break from writing about writing today. Instead, I want to draw up my plan for how Warners should fill the roles of the Superman franchise relaunch.

Clark Kent / Superman: JON HAMM



Anyone who watches Mad Men knows he can pull off a more "serious" tone for Clark Kent. He's got the age, the gravitas on his side. And his Funny or Die and SNL skits have shown he can do comedy, if necessary. It would be nice to see SuperMAN rather than Superboy.

Lois Lane: ANNE HATHAWAY



I don't love her in every role, but Anne Hathaway has proven she can play someone who is a mess career-wise - she can be tough, driven, and definitely outspoken. She has my vote.

Jimmy Olson: Michael Angarano



Michael Angarano has proven in films like Sky High and Dear Wendy that he's the geeky, loveable funny guy. That's who Jimmy Olson is. He's not an over-the-top nerd. He's not the cool guy. He's the every-guy. Michael Angarano would serve this character well.

Perry White: Hugh Laurie



Yes, he was originally supposed to play Perry White in Bryan Singer's Superman Returns, but due to scheduling conflicts with House, he had to drop out. Therefore, we got Frank Langella as the grumpy newsroom pitbull.

Lex Luthor: Jackie Earl Haley



Lex Luthor needs to give up his "land" schemes. I don't want to see Lex Luthor the criminal. I want to see Lex Luthor the president of the U.S. A man holding a high, government office who everyone looks up to. He's the hero, adored by the public...until Superman comes along and steals his thunder. He should never be the main villain. Just a man scheming behind the scenes.

Am I close? Do you like these choices? If not, who would you choose to fill the shoes of Metropolis' finest?

1 comment:

Kate said...

I agree with most of your choices. Although I think Jon Hamm is too old to play Superman...Maybe someone more like Jake Gyllenhaal. I love Anne Hathaway as Lois though and Jackie as Lex - more creepy and scheming than a angered middle aged hotshot, like Gene Hackman or Kevin Spacey. Michael Cera would be a good Jimmy Olson.