Friday, April 18, 2008

Rewriting

When I first started writing, I HATED the rewriting processes. After you've spent close to a year on a script (that probably shouldn't have taken that long in the first place), the very first thing you're hot for is showing it to someone - get some validation on your amazing skills as a writing prestige. You send it to your trusted circle of readers, itching to hear their thoughts on your forthcoming opus. You wait days, weeks...until finally you get that coveted call: "Hey, let's meet up to talk about your script." What was once a feeling boling with anticipation, has somehow instantly turned into one of dread deep in the pit of your stomach: "Shit...maybe the script was NOT so good..."

I think it all has to do with handing over your baby...your darling...into the hands of criticism, albeit constructive criticism. You've made a choice: I want someone to read this to tell me how good it is, not to point out every little thing I did wrong. At first, I hated being held under the microscope, every last detail of my heart and soul put to scrutiny - picked apart like a day old honey baked ham. It takes awhile to get comfortable with the criticism. You begin to welcome it. And sometimes, you even start to write for other people - the very people who read your work. So-and-So will LOVE this scene. It's the best thing I've ever written. I can't wait to show it to them!

Now, I've grown to like the rewriting process. I look forward to hearing all things - good or bad - about the scripts I've written. I think it has everything to do with getting used to the critiquing. You never know how you're going to react to it. Even though I seek out the opinions of others, it still takes me a day or two to get over the intial beating, the bruising of my ego. THEY'RE wrong, I'M right. That's not the case, usually. Once the black and blue marks begin to heal, something strange happens. I start to think of every little comment or piece of advice that's been given to me. They play through my head like a great playlist of songs on repeat that I try to memorize and analyze all the lyrics to - try to find some way to incorporate them into a larger, preestablished playlist. Once the bruise heals, I start to see clearly and begin to put the feedback to use in my story. If the feedback's coming from the mouths of those I've entrusted with my baby - those people who will be honest with me know matter what - who aren't afraid of bruising my ego, telling me how it is - then I trust their words; their comments; their critiques. I'm thankful for those people - because honestly, it's hard as fuck to get anyone that's not your friend to read your work. And the people who know you best can sometimes offer the most valuable insight into your work - because they know you. You don't always have to agree with them, but damn if it's not fun to have a friendly argument with a reader and end up proving them wrong.

I'm in the evening of my latest feature-length script, WARLAND, and I've had four members of my inner circle read it - and all have offered a very distinct point of view. I've taken them all comments into consideration - and truthfully - they've all made WARLAND a better project - a better story. I'll talk more about the development of that script in future posts - I'm putting the finishing touches on it now.

So, when you hand over a script for critiquing - don't forget to let your guard down. Don't be afraid to take a punch or two. Welcome constructive criticism. After all, that's why we write. We write for an audience - no matter how small, or how big. We write for ourselves too, of course - but it's the collaborative process that takes us from interesting concept - to great script.

No comments: